Wednesday, September 08, 2010

Oxford

Mum and Dad had today off work and I had said they were welcome to visit us to celebrate my birthday. My initial thoughts were just to go out for lunch, but Mum suggested that we went out somewhere for the day.

After much debate, rejected ideas from either side we finally agreed to go to Oxford. After sitting in M25 traffic we got to Oxford at about 11 only to find the first park and ride was full so we had to go around the ring round to the next one.

We had time to climb the stairs up the church tower before lunch so Dad, Ollie and I set off while mum wondered around the church (She doesn't do towers, heights or stairs!) The view from the top was very good and Ollie pointed out all of the main sights and you could catch a glance into his college's quad.
Brasenose college
We had already decided on Pizza Hut buffet for lunch so headed there after a brief look in the University shop where I was very tempted by a college hoodie, but thought it a bit cheeky as I went to the University of London!

After lunch we spent a good couple of hours looking round the natural history museum. Mum had never been to a natural history museum before, preferring to frequent the Science Museum whenever we headed into London. I did learn that Tuna are about 50 times bigger than I had previously thought. I now understand how the people who fish for the tins that I buy that say "caught one by one by pole and line in the Maldives" actually earn any profit! (I had thought several fish make one tin rather than 1 fish making lots of tins!)

I also didn't realise that Tortoises spine bones are attached to their shells. We also saw some Samurai swords which were very cool!

Then it was time for the main attraction, G & D ice cream! They make it on the premises and it's the best ice cream I've ever had (and that includes Italian ice cream in Italy!). They also do hot chocolate fudge sauce and it really is divine. I did get laughed at for ordering tea with my ice cream but I thought it was quite a good combination!

After a quick look around the shops it was time to head back to the car to sit in M25 traffic again on the way home.

Radcliffe Camera

No comments: