Tuesday, August 14, 2007

BBQ time!

I had a plan of having a huge family BBQ and inviting both sets of families. Unfortunately Ollie’s sister Gemma was going to see Dirty Dancing and so it would only be Ollie’s dad, Paul and his girlfriend, Anna. Ollie was really worried about them being ‘outnumbered’ by my family (Nan, Granddad, Laura and Wayne) that we decided to keep it just the parents. Now I know how upset that Granddad would be if he wasn’t invited but on speaking to mum we agreed just to keep it quiet and he wouldn’t know. Well that was all well and good until Laura blew that plan clean out the water!

Anyway, I spent Saturday morning tidying and going to Sainsbury’s for food and then missed the football in the afternoon to weed my garden path. Saturday morning you couldn’t even walk down it – now it is weed free. Combined with all the weeding I did the weekend before it looks really nice out there now. Ollie mowed the lawn as well.

Then I made a load of stuff for the BBQ. Anna is one of the most fussy eaters so I made sure I did loads of different stuff that she might like – asparagus, mushrooms, turkey burgers, prawns, mum made the salad and I made cheesy dough balls, home made bread and roast potatoes.

I think the evening went ok. Anna didn't look very happy, but she was fairly pleasant and joined in some of the conversation. She even said thank you so I suppose that’s promising. Still there’s no way that she could say that we did not make an effort. They brought me a lily plant. Now I thought that’s what you gave dead people but it’s bright orange and really pretty. Not wanting to kill it within 5 minutes like all the other plants I’ve ever had I went on line for a looking after guide. Turns out lilies are highly toxic to cats causing liver failure and death within 24 hours of eating! So it’s gone somewhere high out the way of the stupid animals! It was a really nice thought and I don’t want to be ungrateful but it wasn’t really a present with the receiver in mind.

No comments: